Friday, June 20, 2008

Soundtrack of My Life


Song: Angels
Artist: Robbie Williams
Album: The Ego Has Landed (1999)

I had to let some time pass in using this song since that kid on Idol with the crazy dad sang it. But in all truth, this is easily one of my All-Time Top Five Songs. I know - took me a while to get here...

The connection to this song starts with the connection to the artist.

There is something about Robbie Williams that just clicks with me. Maybe it's the cocky, devilish-grin demeanor that you see on stage and TV that is replaced by an often-times crippling self-doubt and worry about success. Or maybe it's struggling to find your own voice for a few years before striking a chord and moving forward that does it. Whatever it is, I get Robbie Williams.

(Note: If you're at all inclined and want a good read, pick up the Feel by Chris Heath)

While I love almost everything the guy has done, what makes this song the #1 on the list and a lock for my ATT5 is how different it is from most of the other Robbie Williams material.

There is no pomp and circumstance, no flashy stage show that you can see in your head as the song plays, Robbie bouncing around the stage as the ultimate performer. Alright, so there is a little Robbie Williams in the linked clip - but it's Robbie Williams for chrissakes... that's what he does!

Unlike last week's entry, we've got some lyrical content working here too.

And through it all she offers me protection
A lot of love and affection
Whether I'm right or wrong
And down the waterfall
Wherever it may take me
I know that life won't break me
When I come to call she won't forsake me
I'm loving angels instead


I've got a couple angels in my life and I know that the "whether I'm right or wrong" line is 100% true with them.

Sometimes, you just find an artist that you connect with.
Sometimes they've got one song that speaks to you more than others.

This is how it is for me, Robbie Williams and "Angels" and I hope you enjoy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont know much about Robbie Williams and "Angels" won't crack my ATT5 but it's definitely a great song. I have a similar spot set aside for "This Years Love" by David Gray.