Friday, June 6, 2008

Soundtrack of My Life


Song: Don't Panic
Artist: Coldplay
Album: Parachutes (2001)

Just like I said earlier today - I don't care what any of you think of Coldplay. I like them.

This is one of those songs that has become a personal favourite through the memories and images it brings to mind whenever I hear it. Unlike some songs that resonate with me because of the instrumentals or the lyrics, this song is one that works on a totally different level for me.

This song makes me think of Garden State.

And just like I don't care what you think of Coldplay, I also don't care what your personal views on the film Garden State are, simply because unless they are that "Garden State is an outstanding movie with a killer soundtrack" than you're wrong.

The minute I hear the first bars of this song, images of Zach Braff and Natalie Portman race to my head and I smile, because G-State is one of those weirdish little movies that I clicked with right away and the fact that it's not some monster hit makes it even better. I like having little gems lots of people have never discovered...

But it's not all Garden State induced love.

For me, the last three lines of the song are what cemented it's place in my personal soundtrack:

Oh, all that I know,
There's nothing here to run from,
Cause, yeah, everybody here's got somebody to lean on.


The first two stanzas of the song are Chris Martin lamenting the fact that we're all done for and then this... and it's the truth.

No one is ever truly alone and no one is ever completely done for.
Running doesn't solve the problem and you've always got someone you can turn to for help.

I've been there - countless times - and yeah, life can be real shit some times, but, when you stop and weigh it all out, there really isn't any need to panic, ever.

Great movie tie-in and a simple message to carry-on? Works for me...

No comments: