Saturday, March 8, 2008

Soundtrack of My Life


Song: Bombs Over Baghdad (B.O.B.)
Artists: Outkast
Album: Stankonia

I was a fan after "Player's Ball." I became a bigger fan with Southerplayalisticadillacmuzik and ATLiens. The haunting chorus from "Elevators" still runs through my mind from time to time:

Me and you.
Your Mama and your cousin too.
Rollin' down the strip on Vogues.
Comin up slammin' Cadillac doors.

Then 3000 and Big Boi dropped Aquemini and I was hooked. For once The Source got things right handing over 5 Mics. "Rosa Parks" and "Skew It on the Bar-B" are still two of my favourite tracks of all time. They had a constant fist fight for top spot in my Outkast rankings. Until this song dropped.

If "Faint" is my angry song, this is my energy song. It should be everyone's energy song. If you put this song on and don't immediately start moving, your significant other needs to dial 9-1-1 because in all likelihood you are dead. It's that damn good.

The jungle-inspired, up-tempo beat is all over the place. It's the music equivalent to the Phoenix Suns 7 Seconds or Less style of basketball. Come out of the gate hard and fast and don't stop until we're done. 3000 counting in the song even serves as the musical tip off.

Nestled into the frantic pace and sonic boom of music are two quick verses. While each member only runs through one verse each, both make sure to drop some gems in their bars:

In-slum-national, underground
Thunder pounds when I stomp the ground (Woo!)
Like a million elephants and silverback orangutans
You can't stop a train
Who want some? Don't come un-pre-pared
I'll be there, but when I leave there
Better be a household name
Weather man tellin' us it ain't gon' rain
So now we sittin' in a drop-top, soaking wet
In a silk suit, tryin' not to sweat
Hits somersaults without the net
But this'll be the year that we won't forget
- Andre 3000, Verse 1
Make a business for yourself, boy, set some goals
Make a fat diamond out of dusty coal
Record number four, but we on the road
Hold up, slow up, stop, control
Like Janet, Planets, Stankonia is on ya
A movin' like Floyd commin' straight to Florida
Lock all your windows then block the corridors
Pullin' off on belt 'cause a whippings in order
I like a three piece fish before I cut your daughter
Yo quiero Taco Bell, then I hit the border
Pity PAT rappers tryin' to get the five
I'm a microphone fiend tryin' to stay alive
When you come to ATL boi you better not hide
cause the Dungeon Family gon' ride, hah!
- Big Boi, Verse 2


Big Boi's verse is one of my favourites of all time. Dropping the Janet Jackson reference, "pulling off the belt cause a whippings in order," and the "Yo quiero Taco Bell" all in the span of one verse? Bonkers.

What I love most about this track though is that the masses missed it. Single #2 from this album was "Ms. Jackson" and that one put Outkast on the Mainstream Map. From then on out the got the love they have deserved from the starting blocks. Speakerboxxx/The Love Below followed, as did a very well earned Grammy.

Acting has become an interest to both Big and Dre over the years and it might not be able to be called a secondary interest any longer. Both are focused on their craft and doing good work. Okay, Dre is doing good work; Big made Who's Your Caddy?

Break up rumours follow wherever Outkast goes and never seem to go away, despite how hard Big Boi always tries to convince everyone that they're baseless. I don't know when it's going to happen. What I do know is that it will be a sad day for music. Thankfully, this song is sure to remind me of the greatness of Outkast for years to come.

Power Music. Electric Revival.

That's what the choir is chanting... I thought you would want to know.

No comments: