Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Question of Anonymity

How in the hell does a blogger relieving his identity make front page news on Sports Illustrated? Granted, it's on SportsIllustrated.com but still. This is ridiculous to me.

If you've been visiting this site for any length of time, you know how I feel about anonymous commentors. If you're new here, welcome and let me sum it up like this:

If you have something you want to say, feel free, but hiding behind a veil of anonymity is a wuss move. It's like talking shit behind someone's back but not having the stones to approach them face to face. No one has to agree with all my opinions (and there are many) or thoughts, but if you've got something to say, why not identify yourself? What is the harm?

Richard Deitsch spent two pages discussing the unveiling of Jason McIntyre as the man behind The Big Lead, a popular sports blog her on the Interwebs. Personally, I think it's a joke. Not in a funny ha-ha way like he's not the real guy doing the writing. More in the "Who really gives a rat's ass anyway?" sort of way.

I look at it like this:

If you're not willing to stick your name (and perhaps face) next to the things you write, it detracts from your credibility, at least with me. Anyone can sit behind a keyboard and have ideas and opinions about thousands of things - like me - but doing so without exposing yourself to feedback and criticism is chickenshit.

Unless you're moonlighting on the internet and slagging off the people you work for or doing something nefarious, why conceal your identity? It's one thing for Clark Kent to keep the fact that he was Superman under wraps, but the mysterious identity of the guy who writes gossipy, sarcastic sports bits on the 'Net... not so much.

I just don't get it. I mean, this guy has now revealed himself and, not coincidentally, is looking for freelance writing opportunities while doing The Big Lead full time. Personally, I'm of the belief that attaching your name to the project from the jump would have done more for your future endeavours than blogging anonymously until reaching "The Big Time" and then pulling the old "Surprise! The phantom dancer is I, Bart Simpson" act.

Or maybe I'm an idiot for sticking my neck - and face and name - out there alongside of my opinions every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with you Spencer but from a marketing point of view he raised a lot of attention towards himself by not revealing his name. It sounds like it has netted him his 15 seconds of internet fame but now that his identity is out only time will tell if it will jump start his career.
In no way is hiding behind anonymity a new sport in the cyber world. With the ability to remain nameless (or posting under a screen name) people suddenly grow giant brass balls. I call them keyboard commando's. I can't take credit for it but I can't tell you where I first heard it either.
All this kinda reminds me of a Jay-Z lyric..
"you know the type, loud as a motorbike but wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"
-99 problems