Saturday, March 8, 2008

And Now Back To Our Regularly Scheduled Broadcast

For those of you wondering last night where the Soundtrack cut for the week was, I do apologize. I know Erin wanted to know what song she would be adding to her iPod playlist this week and since Newt's new favourite album is Mark Ronson's Version, I know he's at least interested in my musical choices.

Obviously, yesterday's post never materialized.

I had to go buy some new threads. I dropped $200 on clothes for the first time in ages...

Then came dinner - Thai Basil Shrimp and Peppers over pasta with a nice bottle of Two Oceans Semillon Chardonnay.

No Country For Old Men (and a glass of Bailey's on ice) rounded out the night.

To all those who haven't seen the film yet, don't worry, no spoilers here. To all those who have, I'm going to need to know what you thought at some point. Why? Because if you're to be counted with the growing number of people I've had staggering through Blockbuster lately saying how much they hated No Country and didn't get it, we're fighting.

This movie is pretty much perfect.
Josh Brolin? Perfect.
Tommy Lee Jones? Perfect.
Javier Bardem? PERFECT.

The Coen Brothers created an absolute masterpiece with this film, which I suppose means that Cormac McCarthy wrote an absolute masterpiece of a book.

All the big things - casting, locations, design, etc. - were done perfectly as you would expect, but for me it was the little things that were subtle and pitch perfect that made this film that much better than so many. Coyly working in what year the movie is set in without flashing it across the bottom of the screen or having a single character utter the date... awesome.

I've heard people complain about the ending, that they didn't understand or that they should have done something different.

No they shouldn't have. The ending was perfect. The whole damn thing was perfect.

Makes me wish I had seen it before the Oscars. D'you know what my picks would have ended up?

Perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Country is very good and brilliant at points, but it is far from perfect. This piece in the New Yorker sums up a lot of my feelings about what's wrong with the movie:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2008/02/25/080225crat_atlarge_denby/?currentPage=4

I would also add that the Woody Harrelson character is painfully underdeveloped and unnecessary.

There Will Be Blood was a much better movie overall, and it wasn't perfect either.

Anonymous said...

Spencer. I will forgive you for no soundtrack since I have a whole new disk to revel over.
I plan on seeing Old Country this week and will let you know what I thought.