Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Five Years Later


Did you know that Thursday marks the Five Year Anniversary of the United States' entry into Iraq?

Five years!

What has changed in that time?

Yes, Saddam Hussien was found, tried and executed. But here is the thing to me:

Nothing has changed since his death. If anything, he has become a martyr and the push against the US occupation of Iraq is even greater.

It scares the hell out of me to have heard John McCain make his "100 years" speech a month or so back. If he makes it to the White House, I can assure you there'll be at least another four years, that's for damn sure.

Two questions that have always been prominent in my head since the outset of the Iraq War. As we approach the five year mark, they still remain:

1. Why are they there in the first place?
2. When is enough enough?

How many lives must be lost, on both sides of the battle, for this to end?

Sadly, I don't think anyone knows an answer to this.

No comments: