Friday, September 12, 2008

Soundtrack of My Life


Artist: Stone Temple Pilots
Album: Purple (1994)

Easily in my All-Time Top Ten.

The first riff of this track comes on and I'm instantly teleported back to Grade Ten when I had no idea of who the hell I was and tried desperately to be able to be a grunge rock guy with STP as my flagship band.

Thankfully, I grew up and out of that stage, figured out who the hell I was and maintained my musical sensibilities because no matter what kind of music you listen to most and what your opinions of Scott Weiland and STP, this song kicks massive ass.

I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't like this song. It is a lot more accessible than "Vasoline" which preceeded it both in release and atop the Billboard charts and also the singles that came from Core a few years before. I wouldn't call it a ballad because, well, it isn't, but it is just a bad ass rock tune everyone who has ever had a crappy relationship sees parallels to themselves in.

And really, isn't that what music is all about?

Unfortunately, as was the case with countless bands both of this era and genre as well as in the past, present and future, drugs kicked the bejesus out of Stone Temple Pilots. More specifically, heroin became Scott Weiland's best friend and newfound muse and the music suffered... immeasurably.

Thankfully, I still have both Core and Purple kicking around the house somewhere to remind me of a time when Scott Weiland was awesome and Stone Temple Pilots made music that I loved.

There isn't a song I love more than this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could really see a difference in the music as a whole between Core and Purple. It seemed as if they had found a refinement that they lacked on Core which allowed them to produce a song like interstate love song.