Tuesday, July 8, 2008

You Have To Want It

Yesterday was Day #1 of Operation: 185, my quest to shed some extra pounds and get into better overall health not just for next year's big event, but life in general.

Pictured to the right is my new bible. Note the lack of capitalization so I don't get struck down for blaspheming or anything like that.

Martin Rooney's book is a comprehensive training program not just for the body, but also for the mind and contains everything from motivational sections to dietary plans, both of which I am taking advantage of throughout this effort.

The biggest thing I have already learned from my one day journey is that doing something like this - exercise and eating right - has to be something you truly want to do.

Like most people, I've had gym memberships before and started out with the best intentions. Four times a week for the first month, then twice a week for a couple weeks, then something comes up and you haven't gone in a year and a half, despite the fact that GoodLife Fitness still gets $50 from you every month.

Unlike those times, I actually got out of bed yesterday looking forward to feeling stiff and sore today from my first workout in years. Surprisingly, I'm not that stiff and I'm also still really geared up about following through with this program.

Groceries today was all about good stuff - fresh fruits and vegetables from SunRipe Market, snack foods are now Melba Toast and Granola Bars instead of chips and dry roasted peanuts and beverages are pretty much either water - I'm drinking about 5L a day now - natural juices or V8 so that I get some extra veggies in there.

I know it's early in the efforts and things could very easily change as I step up to the higher intensity workouts and feel twice as sore tomorrow - second day is always worse, right? - but as of right now, things are great and that makes me excited.

As hokey as it sounds, there really is truth to the adage that "You have to want it."

I've found the things that I want, now it's time to keep after them.

No comments: