Thursday, April 24, 2008

Wait, Someone Is At The Door

Opportunity is knocking and it couldn't be happening at a better time.

Blockbuster is growing more tiresome by the day and a change of scenery - even though I just started there - is desperately in need.

Enter Montana's.

The triumphant return of Spencer the Server looks like a good bet following my initial interview this morning. I was early, I was charming, I was funny and I said all the right things... I think. I must have done something right because Interview #2 takes place tomorrow with the person who put me through to Interview #1 in the first place. Me thinks this is just a formality...

That's not the only time opportunity has come knocking in recent days, as I've cultivated a new freelancing possibility as well.

One of the first things I did when I got back was start getting in touch with some old colleagues who always seem to know about an opportunity or two for a guy in my situation. One of those connections suggested I get in touch with the people at Standardbred Canada and, more specifically, Trot Magazine. Stop laughing Sarah...

I did just that and got a quick response to pass along whatever materials I had available so they could determine whether I was just a chucklehead with a lot of friends in the industry or a talented writer with a lot of friends in the industry.

After receiving and reviewing my portfolio yesterday, I got an email regarding my first potential assignment for an upcoming issue.

I don't want to jinx anything so I'm going to end it here, with my fingers crossed and an optimistic outlook for a summer filled with slinging ribs, counting tips and cranking the writing output up to 11.

No comments: