Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Gotta Work Tomorrow?


D'you know how hard it is going to be to go to work tomorrow?

I've been off now for nearly two full weeks and I have no desire whatsoever to continue my career shilling movies.

Not that I have anything against Blockbuster, just it's Blockbuster. Even though they're giving me a raise and I don't have to work that many hours, the store is way across town, I don't have a car full-time yet and have never been a fan of Public Transportation Systems and, well, yeah, I'm a slacker!

I would much rather sit at home, watch afternoon baseball games and type away on this here computer, providing you with witty goodness and self-righteous opinion like yesterday than say, receive next week's rental and once again listen to people ask me for that movie starring that guy that was in that film with that other guy...

Thing is, it's not that I don't like work in general; I do, when it is work that I see a purpose in and a point to doing. Shilling movies, while it provides a couple hours of entertainment for each paying customer, isn't really what you call rewarding.

It's like my friend Jeff Woodrow, who quit his well-paying job doing what he went to school for to start making t-shirts. Today, that t-shirt idea is a growing company that is gaining national and international attention (including an article in the latest issue of Passion penned by me) and giving Woody the opportunitity to do work that he enjoys. Isn't that what it's all about?

For me, it is and it will be, just I don't have the ability to walk away from a job right now. I've done it too many times before and need to ensure that the cash continues to flow into my bank account. I have responsibilities right now and I intend to honour them.

One of these days though, things will work out. A few more freelance jobs will fall into place, the money will start to get better and better and I can get on with doing what I want to do...

Grab a bag a chips and a can of Coke while I kick back and watch the ball game!
* * * * * * * * * *
Help change the world one t-shirt at a time... Visit Joy T-Shirt and order your own today!

No comments: