Saturday, April 12, 2008

Connecting With Connections Who Have Connections

I know what you're thinking: Huh?


Allow me to explain.

Getting home to Ontario has re-opened the digital pathways and social networks that I developed and cultivated over the 27 years I spent here before my Newfoundland adventure. That may sound like nothing overly exciting to any of you, but for me, it's fantastic.

One thing I learned very early in life is the old axiom is true - it's not what you know, it's who you know and here in Ontario, I know a lot of people.

That's one of the perks of having been a nomad my entire life; moving around gives you the opportunity to meet a lot more people than staying in one place. Being an extrovert helps too, as does the record amounts of useless Pop Culture and sports-based knowledge I have stored away in my big ol' head.


So, over the years, I met a lot of people. Surprisingly, most of them actually like me enough to remain in touch and friendly now that they know I'm back home. And that is important.

Somebody is bound to know somebody who is looking for someone to write something for them or has an opening somewhere or doing something a little more fulfilling than ensuring Londoners have themselves a Blockbuster Evening. The Facebook'ing has already begun in full force.

But let's be honest - it's not all about job hunting. The connections have also yielded a night out for drinks tonight with an old friend... which is something else that was missing in Newfoundland.

No comments: