Sunday, April 27, 2008

10 Things I Learned This Week

I learned that I kind of shot myself in the foot for an easy three points rambling on about the recent developments of my life yesterday... d'oh!

1. Everyone Should See the Film Operation: Filmmaker
Easily the best documentary I've seen in a while. I watched it last night and haven't stopped thinking about it since. Just go watch it. Seriously.

2. I Jinxed the Jays
They haven't won a game since I set foot in the Rogers Centre for the first time this year. Hopefully, they win one before my next visit, since I don't know when that is going to be.

3. My Life Has Gotten A Lot Busier
This is a good thing, as now there isn't time for sitting around watching movies or just sacking out on the couch for the entire day. I have interviews to conduct for the Trot Magazine article, somehow have to find a way to sit down (on the phone) with Michael Musto, as well as my commitments to Bugs and Epic and writing this blog everyday. And two more weeks at Blockbuster. Then whatever shifts I have at Montana's. The summer is going to fly by.

4. Six More Sleeps...
Don't think that I forgot spending time with Sarah in the above list, because I didn't. She gets her own section. I pick her up next Saturday - or as Faye said last night, "Already?" Yes, already. We're both going to be super busy, but that is going to make all the time we do get to spend together and all the excursions we do go on even more enjoyable, because for the first time ever there is no studying or exams or homework or classes... just work and play. Again, this summer is going to fly by!

5. Montana's Is Already Better Than Blockbuster
Went to Orientation this AM and I have to say, being back in a restaurant environment with minimal responsibility and a high-energy atmosphere is so refreshing. Sure there are remedial tasks and there will be slow days, as well as all the usual crap that accompanies any job, but at least at the end of the day I will have tip money to come home and count. Note: This only applies to the London Bklockbuster... I miss the Ropewalk Crew!

6. You Know You Visit Starbucks Too Often When...
The people behind the counter already recognize you. Seriously, I've been here in London for what, two weeks? Once again - My name is Spencer and I have a Starbucks Addiction.

7. Getting the Ink Itch
My friend and tattoo artist Mark Zammit has been posting a bunch of pictures of his work on Facebook over the last couple days and it always ends up in my stalker feed. Consequently, I'm dying to go and get more work done. Every time I see something I like, I clutch at the cross on my arm where the next few pieces are going to go.

8. The Idea
I got the cross a couple years ago now, not really on a whim, but without doing any research or finding something really unique. Not that I don't like it, but it's kind of plain, which isn't me. I don't do vanilla, which got me thinking about what I can do with it to make it more personal and more me. The results? I'm going to add various other pieces of religious iconography to it - Buddha, Star of David, a Hindu deity, etc. - and get the words for "equality" and "understanding" in Islamic script put above and below it. In my mind, it looks awesome. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

9. Can I Write That Off?
Dropped $100 on a digital voice recorder this week so that instead of scribbling away in a notepad while pressing the phone to my ear, I can simply press record and have a conversation with the people I'm interviewing. It also comes with transcription software, you know, because I'm lazy. But dropping that kind of cash on something for work made me wonder if I can write that puppy off at the end of the year? Anyone with a little insight, feel free to let me know.

10. Congratulations Tony & Heather... Hello Baby Jessica!
A new edition to the Ropewalk Blockbuster family arrived this week with the birth of my former ASM Tony's daughter Jessica. Mother and daughter are both doing well by all accounts and Tony has already started polishing his shotgun for the first time some snot-nosed punk comes to pick Jessica up for her first date. She's beautiful guys... congratulations!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a legitimate business expense so you should be able to write it off without hassle.