Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Edgar Gordon Levy: April 7, 1918 - May 13, 2008

"There's nothing to be scared of Spence."

That's what my grandpa said to me Saturday afternoon as he lay in a bed in the ICU of a Cornwall Hospital, the members of his family funneling in and out of his room, knowing he would be going to a better place very soon.

Early this morning, he passed away.

Friday night, after almost everyone had left the hospital, Buster had a massive heart attack and we were all called back to the hospital. He hadn't seen anyone during the day, as chest pains were making him uncomfortable and the ever-proud patriarch of the Levy Family wasn't up for visitors.

As I walked into his room early Saturday morning, the bright smile that I will always remember my grandpa for came to his face.

"Hi Spence," he said, reaching out his hand for me to hold. "I hear congratulations are in order." He wasn't avoiding the obvious; he was being Buster. Enough about me, let's talk about you.

Later in the day, when Sarah came in with me to say hello/goodbye, Buster spoke with her and then turned to me with a wink and asked how we - he and I - had ended up with such beautiful women in our lives.

"They like the name Pop. It's all in the name," I replied.

Buster laughed as best he could and squeezed my hand a little tighter.

"I read your articles, you know. Nan found a place that sells your magazine and we both read those articles," he told me, showing the support he has always provided, even in his last days. "You've found something you love and you're good at it. Make sure you keep it up."

"Did you see that E at the front of the name?" I questioned. The smile I got in return was all the answer I needed.

That E stands for Edgar - in honour and now in memory of my grandfather.

You're the best man I've ever know and I miss you already Pop...

3 comments:

Brad said...

Nicely said, buddy...nicely said.

Anonymous said...

I am truly sorry to hear about your grandfather passing away. You have done a great job portraying your grandfather as a great man.. and I am sure that your typings are only the tip of the iceburg.

Deuce said...

nice post spence...really touched my heart.

Cheers to your grandfather.