Saturday, January 17, 2009

How Did This Take So Long?


Pretty soon, the good people who bring you The Love of Sports will be launching another site, The Love of Movies and I'll certainly be doing some contributing.

Thinking about the movies that came out recently and are coming out soon enough led me to thinking about The Wrestler, Darren Aronofsky's latest flick that won two Golden Globes and might earn Mickey Rourke an Academy Award.

How did no one ever think of making an actual dramatic film centered around the world of professional wrestling before?

There have been documentaries (Beyond the Mat is pretty solid) and comedies (Ready to Rumble was a TBS staple) but never anything that actually looked at the difficulty and struggle that being a professional wrestler undoubtedly places on a person.

Now I haven't seen the film myself and living in BF, Idaho means that there is a good chance I won't see it until it makes it's way to the shelf at Black Bear (my movie joint out here), but when Hollywood is rolling out biopic after biopic of every dead musician they can and bringing us mindless crap like Bride Wars, seeing something with wholly original that is extremely well done (from all accounts) is refreshing.

I won't get a chance to see The Wrestler for six months, but I'll have ample opportunity to see Dance Flick when it comes out...

Sometimes, I hate living here.

1 comment:

rob said...

Spencer writes,
There have been documentaries (Beyond the Mat is pretty solid) and comedies (Ready to Rumble was a TBS staple)

I hear Beyond the Matt is the best documentary on WWF wrestling, period.