Sunday, October 19, 2008

10 Things I Learned This Week

You know it's been a busy week.

I know it's been a busy week.
Let's get right to it then, shall we?

1. Not Having Stuff is Weird
The movers came and grabbed up all our things on Wednesday and we're not going to see until sometime late next week or later. While that doesn't sounds all that bad - it's only a week, right? - the truth is that this is totally awkward. And it's not just my computer that I miss. While it's the one thing I miss the most, we're 86 books and movies and blenders and blankets and just about everything else and it's so strange.

2. "Quiet Makes Me Angry" - Cool Hand Luke
Most dogs bark at noises and Luke is no different there. However, the little monster also has a serious aversion to silence. The peace and quiet of the night drives him insane. Pitch black outside, so quiet you could hear a pin drop and what does the pug do? Jump out of bed barking at the top of his canine lungs. You know what makes it even better? The doofus just lays around sleeping all day when he should be up and active...

3. This is the Year I Write My Book
Mark my words: by this time next year, I will have completed my first book. I have to. I've spent the last three or four months with a highly marketable and entertaining idea rattling around in my head and later today, I'm sitting down to start the writing process. As with all the other projects in my life, I'll keep you posted.

4. I Wish Bunkbeds Were Pieces of Adult Furniture
Night one, we slept in the beautiful king sized bed with the fancy sheets and 47 pillows and blah blah blah blah blah. Night two, we rocked the queen sized lower level of the bunkbeds in the guest room and I can tell you that we'll continue to sleep there until the unit is moved out of here at the start of November. Not only was it so much more comfortable, but it also feels like a fort and really, who doesn't love sleeping in a fort? Forts rock and so do the bunkbeds.

5. After Six Weeks, I'm Finally Watching Some Football
The Spencer who used to buy NFL Sunday Ticket every season would kick my ass if he knew that it's taken me six weeks to finally get around to watching a full day of football. I've caught one early game, bits and pieces of a late game and sections of a couple Sunday and Monday nighters, but never a full day. Today is that day.

6. Breaking News: Big Cities Aren't Everything
Who would have ever thought that I would be the guy wondering why I didn't move out of the big city sooner? The truth is, until you've been outside of that type of life, you don't know what you're missing and what you can do without. I don't know that I'll ever need to live in a big city again. That's how much I already love it out here.

7. Regardless of Today, the Red Sox Deserve Everyone's Respect
Love them or hate them, you have to admit this team is outstanding. The comeback against the Yankees a couple years ago was incredible, but if they manage to pull this one off against Tampa, it might actually be better. They were down seven runs with seven outs to go and now they're one win away from another World Series appearance.

8. Finally There Are Some Movies I Want to See
Outside of seeing Burn After Reading while we were in Vancouver, there hasn't been a movie out in the theatres in some time that I have been waiting to see. The last one was Dark Knight and that feels like it was forever ago. Now, finally, there are some flicks I'm dying to see. Rocknrolla, Zack & Miri, The New Bond... even Body of Lies. Guess who is going to the movies for his birthday?

9. About That...
Eleven days until the Big 3-0. The Champagne Birthday. I don't know what everyone gets so worked up about with turning 30. I'm not fussed about it at all. It's not like I'm turning 50 or anything.

10. Three Provinces, Seven Months
Newfoundland in April, BC in October and Ontario in between. If anyone ever thought I was just exaggerated when I describe myself as a nomad and tell them I've lived at 30 different addressed, this should be all the proof they need.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Ah, hello....High school musical 3 comes out on Friday...jeez, Spencer!
I guess you forgot about it with the move and everything!
Ha ha ha ha ha!