Sunday, February 24, 2008

10 Things I Learned This Week

1. There Is Some Good to Working at Blockbuster
Okay, that's not fair. There is a lot of good that comes from working at Blockbuster. The money is good, all things considered, and who is going to complain about free movies? Oh and the people are best kind too! Beyond all of that, working there in the midst of all kinds of movies has made me even more interested in the Oscars than normal and that too is a good thing.

2. I Really Am A Dork
At least when it comes to Fantasy Baseball. I dedicated most of my day off Thursday (and a couple hours at the tail end of Wednesday when I got home from work) to prepping for my initial draft of the Fantasy season. One was supposed to go today but it got postponed, which rocks because now I can make sure that I'm around for it. I have two more tomorrow, plus the B&C Live Draft later this month. See, I'm a dork.

3. I'm A Dork Who Is Really Good at Fantasy Baseball
We all know I like to pat my own back from time to time and this is one of those times. I don't care that I'm a Fantasy Baseball dork because my dorkdom brings championships. Now, I understand that being excited and proud of winning fantasy baseball leagues on the regular may make me an even bigger dork to some of you, but whatever. I named a team "Betcha I Win This" last year... they won. This year, they've been re-named "I'll Win This Again"... I'll keep you posted.

4. Sarah Being Smart Increases My Book Collection
The soon-to-be nurse ordered one of her textbooks online from Chapters earlier in the term. Expectedly, it got here the day after her exam. Turns out she didn't need it, as the textbook-free 82 she nabbed was solid enough to make her return the book. In it's place, a gigantic textbook-like writing guide for your favourite blogger.

5. People Tend To Stare At You When You Have a Mohawk
Not that this should come as a surprise to me, but the gawking is getting way too obvious. The casual glances and occasional dirty looks just for the sake of giving me a dirty look I was cool with, but doing the old double take when I walk through the mall, into The Guv or stand behind the counter at work is a little ridiculous. It's not like it's dyed pink or anything...

6. A Month Before I Leave and I've Finally Found My Pub
Not that I was looking that hard to begin, having retired from the competitive drinking circuit years ago, but having a quiet place with quality food and the dark on tap is always a must. Sadly, I only ventured into The Guv for the first time like three weeks ago. Went back Friday night and it was just as good, if not better, thereby making it my pub of choice. That being said, I leave in five weeks... who knows how much drinking I'll be doing between now and then.

7. Penguins Are Really Weird Little Creatures
This is my grand revelation after watching March of the Penguins last night. Cute little bastards waddling back and forth every couple of months, beating the crap out of each other during mate selection, sliding along on their bellies when they're too lazy to walk any more. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do. Very entertaining.

8. Morgan Freeman is the New James Earl Jones
"This is CNN" aside, Freeman could narrate anything and I would find it captivating, much like the voice of Darth Vader back in the day. He just has a tone to his voice where I'm always interested in what he is saying, even when he's just talking shit on Actors Studio. The guy is just awesome.

9. The Apocalypse Is At Hand
It must be, because there is no other way to explain how I managed to go an entire week at work without someone flying off the handle at me. Seriously - not one cursing customer the whole week. There really is a first time for everything.

10. LeBron James is Leaving Cleveland Come 2010
I know he put on a happy face following the recent trades GM Danny Ferry made to "improve" the team. But you can't tell me that Bron Bron - arguably the best player in the NBA (along with The Black Jack Bauer) - is going to stick around to play with Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West and Boobie Gibson when he can go somewhere else and play with real talents. If Danny Ferry called LeBron that day, I bet it really went down something like this.
(Yes, this was a long-winded lead in to linking to my latest Epic Carnival post... shameless, I know!)

No comments: