Friday, December 21, 2007

Soundtrack of My Life

Song: The Seed 2.0

Artist: The Roots feat. Cody Chesnutt
Album: Phrenology

Everyone needs to listen to The Roots. Not just this song - everything they have ever put out. Why? Because if for some reason you don't like this song (and you should regardless of what kind of music you prefer) there is something in the expansive catalogue that is The Roots' discography that anyone who likes music will enjoy.

This song for me is the best embodiment of all the things I love about The Legendary Roots Crew.

The outstanding musicianship of the band - "Hub" on bass, Kamal on keyboards, F.Knuckles on percussion, Captain Kirk on guitar and the man I think is one of the greatest musicians alive, Amir "?uestlove" Thompson, on drums. Seriously, this isn't a rap group. The Roots is a band, and a really fucking good band at that.

Black Thought's lyrics and flow - no word better describes the way he layers his words over not just this track but every track than flow. The way he doesn't try to overpower the band and become the focus, but instead works as part of the whole is what makes it work so well. Plus, listen to what he's saying in this tale of infidelity and pregnacy and hear that this is one of the best lyricist of our time.

Couple those two things with the outstanding guest spot put forth by Cody Chesnutt - someone else you should give a chance if you like cats like Jack Johnson and Ben Harper - and this is an absolute home run.

Listen, I could go on for hours about The Roots. This is actually the fourth incarnation of this post that I'm working on now because I have so much to say about them and have a hard time picking just one song to talk about. At one point I just listed their entire discography and said I couldn't choose, but that would have been counteractive to the point of a soundtrack.

So I give you The Seed 2.0 and this advice - go and get it and more... thank me later.

No comments: