Friday, December 7, 2007

Soundtrack of My Life


Song: Stop Me
Artist: Mark Ronson feat. Daniel Merriweather
Album: Version

The most recent of any of the songs that is bound to end up in this feature, this one earned a spot the first time I heard it. I fell in love with it instantly and remain in love with it six months later. Every time I hear it I get the chills; it's one of those songs for me.

This tag team effort between super producer / deejay Ronson and Australian crooner Merriweather comes from Ronson's latest work Version, which I told you about a couple weeks back on The Hip List Rundown and is undoubtedly the best mash-up I have ever heard and that is saying a lot because I have the Jay Z / Linkin Park Collision Course album on blast regularly. Taking The Smiths "Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before" and The Supremes "You Keep Me Hangin' On," Ronson constructs an incredible song around Merriweather's outstanding vocals.

But the best part of all for me is the building orchestral section at the beginning of the song. It's starts out with Merriweather cooing the opening words as this soft sample of the original track starts to filter in accompanied by some new strings. Honestly, I think it's the combination of the tambourine and the funky bassline that is laid down that does it. Yes, I pay attention to these things.

And it builds and builds and builds until...

A funky booming crescendo of dance worthy awesomeness with a pronounced drumbeat that just makes you - well me - full on bob my head, tap my foot and sing along everytime.

But it's not just about music of it - which is saying a lot because the music of it is outstanding. Anyone who hasn't been fortunate enough to have Morrissey introduced to their lives in some way shape or form needs to go out and fire up a little bit of The Smiths and his own solo work. Oh yeah, The Supremes where pretty bad ass too!

Seriously everyone - go get this song. Trust me. You will not regret it. Get the originals too...

No comments: