Thursday, July 30, 2009

Spike Lee Was Wrong


I'm a big fan of Spike Lee despite his undying love of the Knicks and turncoat dalliance with Kobe and the Lakers this season.

To this day, Do The Right Thing is one of my favorite movies. Great soundtrack, outstanding cast, and a powerful message and commentary on race relations.

However, the title of the film isn't applicable in real life.

It appears to me that doing the right thing is for suckers and I am a Class One sucker.

I'm the dude who shows up to work every day ready to smash it out; positive attitude, work ethic in tow, ready to earn my keep.

When the phone rings to fill shifts, unless something is already planned, I'm in attendance quicker than you would have imagined.

I literally do the right things, like paying attention to my customers and engaging them in conversation, making their experience the best I can 99 times out of 100.

What has that gotten me?

Nothing but a headache.

The halfwits makes as much money as me by doing half the work, no one gets on the case about slacking on the job and chumps like me end up running around twice as much and for what?

Instead of getting the odd perk here and there, I'm working even more, including randomly having my shifts changed from time-to-time without my knowledge or consent.

"We don't need to cover that shift 24 hours from now in the bar even though we know the scheduled bartender won't be here. Spence is in, we'll just move him up there and work the crap out of him."

This isn't even an exaggeration. Two weeks ago, this exact thing happened.

No thanks, no "lemme buy you a beer" and no help scoring an impromptu day off after slugging it out hardcore for the last two weeks.

See?

Doing the right thing is for suckers... and I'm done being a sucker.


No comments: