Saturday, July 18, 2009

Apparently Bocce is a Big Draw


Maybe I missed the newsletter, but when did bocce become a major attraction?

This weekend is Julyfest here in Kimberley, and apparently people from all over the surrounding area have invaded the town for bocce, beer and barbecues, making my neighborhood the busiest it's been since we moved here.

Personally, I don't get it.

Maybe it's because I grew up in Hamilton, where bocce was played by all my Italian friends' grandparents and no one else.

Or maybe it's because everywhere else I've lived there has been far more interesting things to do than invade a town that doesn't have a Tim Hortons for some serious bocce and partying.

Seriously, it's busier up here than it was at Christmas, New Year's or Canada Day.

We've been known to have some completely random parties - July 24 Weekend for example, known as Beastfest in honor of the birth of Greg "Beast" Jorden, but never have this many people followed us to our destination of choice.

They tell me it's a great time; some have even asked if I was, "coming out to watch the bocce this weekend?"

Uhm, no.

An afternoon watching people I don't know lawn bowling isn't high up on my list of things to do with my time off.

But apparently I'm the minority on this one, because Kimberley is flooded with people and they're dying to watch them some bocce!

2 comments:

sarah said...

kind of like last weekend when thousands of people came up to watch the accordians....

E. Spencer Kyte said...

What a happening town we live in! Accordions and bocce are big weekends...