Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'd Say That Sums Me Up Nicely


Last night, Sarah had to go into work for a CPR course and on the way home, she stopped and picked up the copies of my book proposal that I had done at Staples.

While she was gone, I scoured the Internet looking for literary agents from all across North America who are accepting new authors in my particular genre - humor and relationship non-fiction.

I found a bunch and they are all getting submissions however they have specified later today. There also happened to be one agency who has their submission query built into an online form, so I went ahead and filled it out.

Here is where the picture that leads off this post comes into play.


I only know one way to be when it comes to my work and that is obnoxiously confident, probably verging on annoyingly cocky. This is just how I am when it comes to the things I do; I know I do them exceptionally well and I'm not going to tone myself down when promoting myself and my work.

That doesn't sit well with Sarah.

When I told her that I mentioned on this online submission query that my book is the type of book Oprah, Matt Lauer and the women from The View would love to have me on to discuss and used the "Do you have any questions about this form or process?" section to ask,"Didn't you wish there was someone there warning you about all the annoyances you were going to have to deal with, like family members with 102 ridiculous requests and rogue travel agents who ignored most of what you asked them to do?" she wasn't very impressed. Of course, I thought it was awesome...

Her exact quote was, "You need some of my self-doubt and I need some of your cockiness." While I agree that my wife needs some of elevated levels of self-confidence I have, there is no way in hell that I want to start being one of those people who doubts myself.

Does my over-confidence rub some people the wrong way? Probably, but this is me and it's not going to change. I know this project is outstanding and one that will appeal to a wide range of people. At no time will I lessen my enthusiasm and confidence in the words I have written and the vision that I have for this book to make someone a little more comfortable.

To quote Justin Timberlake - yes, I'm quoting Justin Timberlake - "I know that sounds cocky, but is it really cocky if you know that it's true?"

Answer: No.

I take what I do very seriously, even the silly things I do here from time to time, and being insanely confident about what I do is part of the package. Just because I haven't achieved worldwide acclaim as of yet doesn't mean I shouldn't believe it's possible...

I need to believe in my work and my skills to the point of being cocky because no one else will.

Now somebody get on eBay and find me that belt buckle!

No comments: