Monday, June 22, 2009

Something More Important

Yesterday afternoon, I had this post already written in my head.

Today was going to be a monster bash Brett Favre session, seeing as the twice-retired former great has decided once again that those earlier thoughts on retirement were premature and has inked a new deal with the Minnesota Vikings. Favre will have to wait until tomorrow, if at all. There is something way more important I need to talk to you about.

As some of you know, I'm a Facebook addict, spending somewhere in the neighbourhood of an hour a day on the social networking megasite. That doesn't sound like much, but think about how quickly you're in and out of Facebook these days...

Anyway, I was on for the umpteenth time last night and saw a status update from an acquaintance named Alyson Woloshyn mentioning she had her blog officially up and running. Being (a) a bit of a Facebook stalker and (b) interested to see what people I know are writing about, I checked it out and now I am encouraging you to do the same.


Alyson is chronicling her journey to being a cancer survivor, having had a 6.5 cm tumor removed from her brain not two months ago. I know - crazy right? Imagine thinking you're going to read about an old friend's travels and everyday life and getting that bit of knowledge...

One of the other things I discovered is that Aly was looking and still is looking for help. While she's in Calgary and that means I can't help with the shuttle service, she needed an Editor for her blog - someone to play Grammar Police - and I've gotten the nod.

What I need all of you to do is be sure to check out her blog - alysonwoloshyn.com - and join the Facebook group The Spectacular Comeback of AW in support of Alyson's journey.

Aly made a huge impact on my life back when I had no idea who I was or what I wanted to be. She helped me discover that the "Life" part of "Student Life" in university is equally important, if not more so from time to time. Of course, I took it to great excess far too often, but still.

Through various involvements with Alyson like planning a couple Frosh Weeks and the UW Superfans, I was able to figure out who I was and what my purpose during those years was and it was only yesterday, after years without much more than a quick wall post on a birthday, that I finally got around to telling her that.

So now she could use my help and I'm certainly going to be there. I really hope you will be too.

No comments: