Saturday, June 6, 2009

Organic?


Fruits and vegetables are organic.

Chemistry can be organic.

Chickens raised without hormones, drugs or synthetic chemicals are organic.

Acting is not organic.


I know this may seem like an odd thing to get grumpy about, but this is me after all. A lot of stupid things drive me insane and this is one of them.

You hear it all the time. Someone asks an actor how they come up with their character and they something horribly cliche and ridiculous like, "It's an organic process for me."

What? You don't use any drugs, hormones or synthetic chemicals when you're creating your character?

While organic means " Of, relating to, or derived from living organisms," character creation does not fall into that category to me, just as writing most certainly doesn't either, though I've heard countless authors use it as well.

What I think all these "organic beings" are trying to say is that what they do is natural or comes naturally; they don't force anything and they go with instinct over process and pattern. I can get behind a statement like that.

But organic? Stop it already...

No comments: