Friday, March 13, 2009

Soundtrack of My Life



Song:
LDN
Artist: Lily Allen
Album: Alright, Still (2006)

I don't know how it took me so long to get to Lily Allen. I guess this is what happens when you have the attention span of a gnat and 30 billion thoughts running through your head all day.

Now that we're here, however, I have one important thing to say right off the bat: You must go out and buy this album. Seriously. I don't know a single soul who has listened to it that hasn't absolutely loved it and why wouldn't they? It's brilliant and this song is a great starting point for your Lily Allen love affair.

Energetic and lively, this track is a sarcastic and slanted ride through London set to infectious horns and a danceable beat. The first three bars can't play anywhere in our house without both Sarah and I bouncing back and forth to it.

There is nothing better to me than being able to poke fun at someone without them knowing and that is a little bit what this song is to me. It's Allen' poking fun and drawing away the curtain on London to reveal that it's not all the hype and glamor it's often made out to be:


When you look with your eyes
Everything seems nice
But if you look twice
you can see it's all lies


Metropolitan commentary in musical form aside, how can you not enjoy the second verse all on it's own for the truth about our society that it delivers:

There was a little old lady, who was walking down the road
She was struggling with bags from Tesco
There were people from the city having lunch in the park
I believe that it's called al fresco
Then a kid came along to offer a hand

But before she had time to accept it
hits her over the head, doesn't care if she's dead
Cause he's got all her jewelery and wallet

Too funny and too true and too good for you not to being busy downloading it right now.

P.S. Get the new album too, it's also brilliant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this song! always makes me smile and dance